The planning permit and building permit systems operate under different legislation (The Planning & Environment Act 1987, and The Building Act 1993) and are two very different processes. Generally, planning is concerned with the land - the way it will be used and/or developed, whereas building is concerned with the actual construction - its quality and its safety. Planning permits are the approval of "what" you wish to do and "where" you want to do it. They give approval for the use and/or development of land for a specific proposal.
- Planning permits are issued by local Councils.
- Planning permits ensure the development complies with local and State Government regulations.
- Planning permits give authorisation for a use or development on a particular piece of land.
- Building permits authorise the construction or alteration of a building/S, focusing on its structural safety and amenity.
- Building Permits are issued by local Councils or a private building surveyor.
- Building permits approve and allow building projects to proceed.
- Building permits ensure the building regulations are followed.
- Building permits ensure key structural stages of the project are independently inspected.
When both a planning permit and a building permit are required for a proposal, then the planning permit must be approved and issued before the building permit can be. The building permit must be consistent with the planning permit. Please contact a member of the Planning team or Building team if you are unsure about the permits you require.
WHAT WE DO
Council carries out a wide range of activities within the community to keep residents safe, healthy and happy:
- Issue planning and building permits
- Police local laws covering domestic animals
- Enforce parking regulations
- Construction of roads, parks and footpaths
- Parks and gardens maintenance
- Sport and recreation planning
- Co-ordinate garbage and recycling collection
- Community services such as maternal and child health, libraries, transport, the community directory, meals and wheels, aged services and services for youth.
In this section, you will find a wide range of information and legislation. If you cannot find what you are looking for, or require more information, please Contact Council.