West Augusta Football Club
The West Augusta Football Club was formed in April, 1915.
The club adopted the purple and white colours for its uniform on April 3, 1915 following a suggestion by West Side School teacher Mr Sydney Mills, that these were the colours of his old school, Christian Brothers Old Collegian, in Adelaide. Mr Mills was also a prominent player of the 1915 team.
Down through the years our team has been variously referred to as the “Westerners’, “The Purple & Whites” or the “Harboursiders”. In 1964 it was decided by the committee to adopt the name “Hawks”.
The first West Augusta side in 1915, except for three players, were employed by the new salt harvesting plant, established near Yorkeys Crossing, Port Augusta West.
Our First premiership came in 1920. defeating Flinders by 13 Points. The side was captained by Colin Dighton.
The First premiership in the Spencer Gulf Football League was in 1969. Captain/Coach Richard Oakey.
West Augusta has continued to become the most successful football club in Port Augusta winning more premierships than any other club.