The community centre is housed in the former Central Illawarra Municipal Council Chambers, opened in 1901. This operated until the merging of the North Illawarra and Central Illawarra chambers to create the City of Greater Wollongong in 1947. The building is owned by the Wollongong City Council. The Unanderra Branch Library opened in 1955 within the centre.
It is a double storey brick building with a parapet that held the Projection gear and a corrugated metal roof. The City of Wollongong Heritage Study Data Sheets: Volume 3/5 (1991) assigns the building local historical significance.