Business Summary
The Shire of Chittering Administrative Centre is based in Bindoon at 6177 Great Northern Highway.
About Us

The Roads Board of Gingin was created in January 1893. It encompassed most of Chittering including Bindoon, Wannamal fell under the auspices of Victoria Plains.

The Chittering Brook Roads Board District was gazetted on 10 January 1896 and then amended on 7 February 1896. The first Chittering Brook Roads Board election was held on 11 March 1896.

On 1 July 1961 all Roads Boards became Shires, so on 8 July 1961 all serving Roads Board members were sworn in as Shire of Chittering Councillors.

The Shire of Chittering is located 55kms north of Perth, with an area covering 1,220km2. It has 230km of sealed roads and 174km of unsealed roads.

The Shire has approximately 4,996 residents (as per 2013 ABS) residing in the area. With a unique landscape of large areas of untouched bushland, state forest, wetlands, and industrial and commercial estates, the Shire is a wonderful place to visit and an ideal place to live.

The local economy is based on broad-acre farming, orchards, small rural and offers many semi-rural lifestyle residential properties. There is limited industry, being Extractive Industry operations (gravel, clay and sand), the State Livestock yards (WAMIA), Mineral sands processing (Tronox), Buddha Mandala Monastery, nurseries, Bindoon Bakehaus and Cafe, Chittering Tourist Attraction, viticulture and wineries and other small businesses.

What forms do I need for Planning, Building and/or Sewerage Treatment applications?
All relevant forms, checklists and information sheets can be found on the Shire of Chittering's website under "A-Z".
What type of "Treatment of Sewerage" do I need for my property?
All areas have difference requirements due to variations, ground water levels and other environmentally sensitive factors. You can ascertain the correct system you require by contacting the Shire's Principal Environmental Health Officer on (08) 9576 4600 and choosing to be transferred to Development Services.
Can I build a shed in front of my house?
As stated in Local Planning Policy 7 'Outbuildings and Swimming Pools' a shed will not be permitted in front of a dwelling. It is recommended that room behind the house is allocated when developing your house.
Do you need approval for bores?
Whilst consultation with the Shire is recommended, it is not required. All bores used for drinking water must be at least 30m from septic tanks or alternative treatment systems. For further information on bores, including sinking them, it is recommended you contact the Department of Water on (08) 6250 8000.
Can I have a zinc roof on my house/shed/water tank?
Council requires pre-painted materials such as Colorbond to be used on houses and sheds within zones that fall in the town site and rural residential zoned areas. Zinc is only permitted for water tanks.
How large is the maximum area for granny flat or ancillary dwelling? Can this be increased?
The largest size you can go to is 70m2, not including verandahs or patios; the size cannot be increased.
What and how many animals can I have on my property?
There is not a "set" answer to this question, it is recommended that you refer to Local Planning Policy 24 'Stocking Rates' or contact Development Services support staff for further information, as it all depends on land sizes and can also be varied if Planning Approval is obtained through the Planning Department. However, it should be noted should you wish to breed or use the animals for commercial purposes it is likely that you will need Planning Approval.
Can I live in my shed?
Living in a shed is not permitted within the Shire of Chittering. Council staff will not approve a shed until Planning and Building has been approved for a house. Once your house has been approved, then you may apply to live onsite in a caravan whilst your house is being built. This will be the only time living onsite in anything other than a house is permitted.
Payment Methods