Peter Maley

The Northern Territory's Premier Law Firm.
Business Summary
Welcome to Maleys Barristers & Solicitors. As one of the Northern Territory's top law firms, we have the necessary experience and resources to handle any case and achieve the optimal outcome. Our legal team has the depth of skills and experience to meet the special needs of your defence, no matter what type of matter. We undertake work in all Family, Traffic, Criminal, Migration, Estate, Property and Conveyancing law matters. Obviously, your legal defence is too important to risk to simply anyone. Expertise is easily claimed by marketing folk. But in the real world, the reputations of lawyers are hard earned over many years in the courtroom. If you are looking for the best possible legal advice or representation in the Northern Territory, call Maleys Barristers & Solicitors on 08 8981 2266.
About Us

Peter Maley has significant experience in dealing with serious crime, white collar offences and traffic law.

Peter is a proud Territorian who grew up in Darwin’s rural area and has built a reputation in the community as a strong leader, an excellent communicator and resolute tactician.

Well-respected for his expertise and local knowledge, Peter has built an extensive client base across the Territory from Alice Springs to Darwin and into Western Australian from Kununurra to Broome. His criminal defence practice now extends to South East Asia where his skills are growing in demand.

“Clients come to see me at a time of crisis and stress in their lives and I provide them with the necessary leadership to resolve their problems. Whatever the issue it becomes my problem and by explaining the process of the law and directing the best way forward my clients are able to get on with the rest of their lives.”

In his spare time Peter spends time with his family following his passion for fishing, hunting and the great outdoors.

What We Do

Maleys offer a suite of legal services and have expertise in a number of areas of law including:

  • Criminal Law
  • Traffic Law
  • White Collar Crime
  • Family Law
  • Conveyancing & Estate

Maleys is also the NT member of ADLA - the Australian Defence Lawyers Alliance

When my child turns 16 can s/he decide who they want to live with?
Many people think that when a child turns a certain age (e.g. 16) they can automatically decide which parent they want to live with. Family law orders can be made about a child until he/she turns 18. The older and/or more mature a child is the greater the weight the court may give to their wishes (section 60CC Family Law Act). The views of the child however are only one factor that must be looked at when considering orders that are in the child’s overall best interests.
My ex wants to go and live interstate with the kids and I don’t agree. Can I stop her?
Yes. You can make an application to the Court for an injunction until the matter is fully considered by the Court. An injunction is like a restraining order which is put in place to stop the residence of the children being relocated interstate. However even if this order is made on a short term basis the Court may decide that in the longer term it is in the best interests of the children for them to live interstate.
I have applied for divorce & have had to include information about my children does this mean I have a parenting order?
No. A divorce application is a separate proceeding to parenting and/or property proceedings. However, the Court may not grant a divorce unless it is satisfied suitable arrangements have been made for any children under 18. This is why information about children under 18 needs to be included in the divorce application.
I want to apply for a divorce – does my ex need to agree?
No. A divorce application can be made by one person as a sole application or by both parties as a joint application. If an application is made and your ex-partner doesn’t agree the matter can be listed for a hearing.
At A Glance