- Veterans & Veterans Families Counselling Service (VVCS)
The VVCS Legacy
The Vietnam War was a difficult time & for those who had served forged strong bonds & a deep commitment to look out for each other. With this deep sense of mateship, Vietnam veterans lobbied for a specialised counselling & support service to help veterans & their families.
In 1982 the Australian Government established the Vietnam Veterans Counselling Service, opening it's first office in Adelaide & then another 8 across Australia 18 months later. Today VVCS has counselling centres all over Australia, with a network of outreach counsellors.
Since establishment, VVCS has expanded it's range of services & now assists those involved in all military conflicts & peacekeeping operations & their families. So in 2007, the service was renamed to VVCS - Veterans & Veterans Families Counselling Services, to better reflect the benefits & services they offer, now open to all Australian veterans & their families.
VVCS is the legacy of Australia's Vietnam veterans, who has ensured that future generations of serving men & women have access to specialised mental health & wellbeing support.
If you wish to find out more about VVCS, click here.
VVCS provides free & confidential, nation-wide counselling & support for war & service-related mental health conditions, such as post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), anxiety, depression, sleep disturbance & anger. VVCS also offers support for relationship & family matters that arises due to the nature of the military lifestyle.
VVCS services include:
- Counselling for individuals & couples
- Counselling for families
- Veterans line & after hours crisis counselling
- Group programs - for a range of common mental health issues
- Support for clients with complex needs - treatment & services coordination
- Crisis Assistance Program - emergency support for Vietnam veterans in times of crisis
For more information on VVCS services, click here.
- Parliament of Australia Indigenous Affairs and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders
- Parliament of Australia Citizenship, Multicultural Australia and Arts / Environment and Water
- Open Arms - Veterans & Families Counselling Gungahlin
- Parliament of Australia Education and Women
- Parliamentarians-Federal Senators and Members Leigh the Hon Dr Andrew (MP Fenner)
- Parliament of Australia Defence Personnel, Veterans Affairs and Assisting the Prime Minister for the Centenary of ANZAC
- Parliamentarians-Federal Senators and Members Seselja Senator Zed
- Australian Communications and Media Authority (The ACMA) Belconnen