- Veterans & Veterans Families Counselling Service (VVCS)
The VVCS Legacy
The Vietnam War was a difficult time & for those who had served forged strong bonds & a deep commitment to look out for each other. With this deep sense of mateship, Vietnam veterans lobbied for a specialised counselling & support service to help veterans & their families.
In 1982 the Australian Government established the Vietnam Veterans Counselling Service, opening it's first office in Adelaide & then another 8 across Australia 18 months later. Today VVCS has counselling centres all over Australia, with a network of outreach counsellors.
Since establishment, VVCS has expanded it's range of services & now assists those involved in all military conflicts & peacekeeping operations & their families. So in 2007, the service was renamed to VVCS - Veterans & Veterans Families Counselling Services, to better reflect the benefits & services they offer, now open to all Australian veterans & their families.
VVCS is the legacy of Australia's Vietnam veterans, who has ensured that future generations of serving men & women have access to specialised mental health & wellbeing support.
If you wish to find out more about VVCS, click here.
VVCS provides free & confidential, nation-wide counselling & support for war & service-related mental health conditions, such as post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), anxiety, depression, sleep disturbance & anger. VVCS also offers support for relationship & family matters that arises due to the nature of the military lifestyle.
VVCS services include:
- Counselling for individuals & couples
- Counselling for families
- Veterans line & after hours crisis counselling
- Group programs - for a range of common mental health issues
- Support for clients with complex needs - treatment & services coordination
- Crisis Assistance Program - emergency support for Vietnam veterans in times of crisis
For more information on VVCS services, click here.
- Australian Maritime Safety Authority Distress Beacon Advice Line
- Australian Maritime Safety Authority Media
- Department of Human Services
- Australian Financial Security Authority Personal Insolvency
- Australian Financial Security Authority PPSR (Personal Property Securities Register)
- Australian Maritime Safety Authority Aviation Rescue (24 hrs)
- Open Arms - Veterans & Families Counselling Brookwater
- Australian Maritime Safety Authority Maritime Rescue (Major Oil Spills & Shipping Emergencies) (24 hrs)