Mitchell Chambers

27 Surflen Street, Adelaide SA 5000
Our barristers are dedicated to providing the highest standard of legal representation and advice.
More From Mitchell Chambers

ABOUT US

Mitchell Chambers are a barristers' chambers in South Australia. Our barristers practice in a broad range of areas and jurisdictions, specialising, in particular, in criminal, personal injury, civil, commercial, employment, wills and estates and family law.

We are a progressive Chambers, whose members are approachable and pride themselves on providing pragmatic, cost-effective and high quality advice and representation.

Services We Offer

Specialist areas in which members of Mitchell Chambers practice include:

  • Administrative Law
  • Commercial & Property
  • Criminal
  • Defamation
  • Family Law
  • Inquests, Inquiries & Commissions
  • Immigration & International Law
  • Insurance Law
  • Local Government, Environmental & Planning
  • Medical Negligence
  • Military Law & Veterans' Affairs
  • Motor Vehicle Accident Claims
  • Public Liability & Occupational Health & Safety
  • Professional Liability
  • Wills, Probate and Family Inheritance
  • Workers Compensation, Employment & Industrial Law
Barristers
  • Gilbert Aitken
  • Grant Algie SC
  • Jo Battiste
  • Michael Doyle
  • Robert Kane
  • Elizabeth Mansfield
  • Christian Munt
  • Tony Possingham
  • Jane Powell
  • Jim Telfer
  • John White
Why Choose Us?

Mitchell Chambers was named after Dame Roma Flinders Mitchell AC, DBE, CVO, QC (2 October 1913-5 March 2000). Roma Mitchell graduated as a lawyer in December 1934, and the following February began as a barrister with an Adelaide law firm. In 1965 she became a judge of the Supreme Court of South Australia, the first woman in Australia to be appointed to that position.

She also led a deputation of women seeking the right for women to serve as jurors. In 1991 she was appointed Governor of South Australia, again becoming the first woman in Australia to hold that post. Mitchell Chambers was officially opened on 8 November 1991.