McCallum Disability Services

LOCAL BRANCH

St Arnaud

1 Long Street, St Arnaud VIC 3478
Business Summary
To provide a responsive range of programs and services to people with disabilities and maximise their opportunities in community life.
About Us

In 1953, the Y’s Men’s Club was encouraged to establish a facility in Ballarat to provide education, welfare and therapy for children with disabilities. Prominent local psychiatrist, Dr E. Cunningham Dax challenged the Club to construct the facility.

The Y’s Men’s Club, led by its then president Mr R Austin McCallum took up the challenge and worked hard to make the vision a reality. With assistance from the State Government and through the generous support of labour from the Master Builders, Master Plumbers and Master Painters Associations, the building was officially opened in 1955 by the Honourable Henry Bolte MP.

Since its opening, the organisation has developed into a leader in the provision of quality support for people with a disability. Its client base has shifted from children to adult services with its current base in Learmonth Street Alfredton constructed in 1992 to accommodate the increase in its Day Care programs.