Business Summary
Whether you're looking to change your lifestyle, relocate or establish a business, or even visit for a holiday, you'll find everything you need in Gunnedah
About Us


Known as the 'Koala Capital of the World' due to the abundance of healthy koalas living right in the township, Gunnedah is a growing community with a population approaching 9,000.

Supported by a resilient economic base, Gunnedah offers its residents a perfect blend of a relaxed quality lifestyle combined with a high standard of community facilities and services.  Health and education needs are well catered for via a modern hospital, medical and dental clinics, disability and aged care facilities second to none and a selection of pre, primary and secondary school and tertiary education options.

Situated in the heart of the Namoi Valley, in North West New South Wales, Australia, Gunnedah is just 440 kilometres by road from Sydney, 655 kilometres from Brisbane and just over 1,000 kilometres from Melbourne.

The community has access to a wide variety of sporting and leisure activities, which are enthusiastically pursued. An indoor heated swimming pool, well maintained sporting ovals and parks, two court indoor basketball stadium and one of the best gymnastic centres in the state all make Gunnedah a great place to live for all ages.




Are there any off-leash areas for dogs in Gunnedah Shire?
Owners of dogs may unleash their dogs in the Woolshed Reserve. It is located on the Gunnedah side of Cohen’s Bridge.
How many dogs am I allowed to have?
Not more than four (4) dogs over the age of six (6) months can be kept on any property in Gunnedah Shire unless development consent for a specific purpose has been issued by Council or the specific purpose.
How do I book a kids birthday party at the Civic and what is the cost?
To book a children’s birthday party please contact the Civic Centre staff on 02 6740 2272 to check the availability of movies, times and costing.
There is a dead animal in a public area/space, can you arrange for it to be removed?
If you see a dead animal in a public area/space, please contact council on 02) 6740 2130. We will require the location of the animal and if known the type of animal.
What can be done about a swooping magpie?
Magpies are protected throughout NSW, and it is against the law to kill the birds, collect their eggs, or harm their young. If you feel a magpie is a serious menace, it should be reported to the nearest office of the National Parks and Wildlife Service (NPWS). National Parks and Wildlife Service – Coonabarabran Office phone: 02 6842 0200.
How can I report a snake that is causing a threat?
Contact WIRES (Wildlife Information, Rescue & Education Services) to report a snake that is posing a threat. WIRES can be reached on 1300 131 554.
What can I do about a barking dog?
Talk to the dogs owner and if the dog persists barking, contact council on 02) 6740 2120 or attend the Council Customer Service Centre. The Customer Service Officer will complete a customer request which will be forwarded to the Animal Control Officer. You will be asked to provide as much information as possible including your name, address and phone number.
When are movies held in the Civic Theatre?
The Civic Theatre shows movies on Wednesday’s between 5.30pm and 8.00pm, Fridays between 10.30am and 1.00pm as well as 5.30pm to 9.00pm, Saturdays between 11.00am and 10.00pm and Sundays between 11.00am to 7.00pm. The Civic Theatre also shows movies during school holiday periods at more regular days/times.
Are there currently any water restrictions?
Gunnedah Shire Council currently has Level P Water Conservation Levels in place across the shire to all properties connected to town water supplies in Gunnedah, Curlewis, Mullaley and Tambar Springs.
How do I report a street light that is damaged or needs a new bulb?
Essential energy is responsible for ensuring maintenance of streetlights. To report a street light that is damaged or needs a new bulb contact Essential Energy on 13 23 91 or
How much is it to become a member of Gunnedah Shire Library?
Membership is free. You need to fill out a registration form and have a form of id: Drivers licence, pension card or rates notice. We need to know your correct residential address.
How do I go about using the computers within the Library?
You need to book a computer and you need to be a member, otherwise the library charges a small fee . The use of the PC’s at the library cease 30 mins prior to closing.
Notable Achievements
2011 State Cover Workplace Health & Safety Excellence Award
Highly Commended at the 2011 NSW Marketing Awards for Public Libraries
Commendation- 2011 Justice Awards from Legal Information Access Centre