Environment, Land, Water and Planning Department of - Bendigo

State Government of Victoria
Also known as
  • Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning

Office Locations


About Us

The Department of Environment, Land, Water & Planning (DELWP) is tasked with creating liveable, inclusive and sustainable communities within Victoria with thriving natural environments, where the community is at the centre of everything we do.

We focus on caring for and protecting the environment, and helping to respond to climate change through risk mitigation and adaptation strategies.

We recognise the link between the built and natural environment in the quality of our lives, and work to accommodate population growth while maintaining world class liveability and protecting our heritage for future.

We are a diverse and inclusive workplace, with programs for Aboriginal inclusion, gender equality, domestic and family violence support, women in fire and emergency leadership, and male champions of change.

To learn more about who we are, please visit our website.

What We Do

Our Role

The Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP) brings together Victoria's functions of PlanningLocal GovernmentEnvironmentEnergySuburban DevelopmentForestsEmergency ManagementClimate ChangeWater into a single department to strengthen the connections between the environment, community, industry & economy.

The department also manages & services other functions within Victoria including Widlife, Forest & Reserves, Coasts & Marines, Victorian Heritage, & Property & Land Titles.

DELWP works with a range of organisations, industry bodies, policy institutes & universities to gather research, policy development, program implementations & funding support.

For more information on what we do & the services we provide, please visit our website.

How do I apply for a planning permit?
Before you start, discuss your proposal with your local council, talk to your neighbours about their concerns & considers getting professional advice. Once you’ve determined that a planning permit is required, fill out the application form (can be found from our website, www.planning.vic.gov.au/planning-permit-applications/do-i-need-a-permit/planning-application-forms/) & then lodge thew application with your local council along with the fee required.
How do I find out if there is a planned bushfire burning near me?
We work to keep communities safe year round by reducing the risk of bushfires across the state. Visit our website, www.ffm.vic.gov.au/bushfire-fuel-and-risk-management/planned-burns/, to view the planned burns in parks and forests for the next 10 days. Or sign up to the Planned Burning Notification System, www.ffm.vic.gov.au/bushfire-fuel-and-risk-management/planned-burns/planned-burning-notification-system/, to receive automated SMS and email notifications about planned burns on public land.
What are the benefits of registration to Pay & Manage Bills Online Service?
The Pay & Manage Bills Online Service allows you to view, pay and dispute your DELWP invoices online at any time from your own computer. It avoids unnecessary cost and time compared to paper-based billing. Disputed invoices are handled with online tools for quick and accurate resolution. You can also reduce paper costs and usage by only printing invoices, receipts and statements as required.
Is it possible to get a receipt of payment online?
Yes. A receipt will be generated after a payment is made which you may print and/or save for your records. The receipt will only be available after your payment has been processed. All information regarding your transactions through the Pay & Manage Bills Online Service is kept in the system for 220 days. Any records you wish to retrieve after this time will be available by calling the Accounts Receivable Team on (03) 9637 9422 or via email accounts.receivable@delwp.vic.gov.au.
How do I access DELWP documents under Freedom of Information?
You can request access to documents held by DELWP by writing to the FOI Unit, including payment of the application fee. You can submit a request electronically via FOI Online, www.foi.vic.gov.au/home/how+to+apply/making+a+request/, or email your request to foi.unit@delwp.vic.gov.au, Alternately you can write a letter, or download the FOI Application form & send it to FOI & Privacy Unit PO Box 500 East Melbourne VIC 8002. We will send you an application fee payment form to pay.
What is Environmental-Economic Accounting?
The System of Environmental-Economic Accounting (SEEA) accounting is an integrating framework that reports on the inventory of environmental assets and the services they provide in our society and economy over time, along with transactions involving spending on the environment.
How do I determine if a tree or plant is a native vegetation?
A native vegetation are plants that are indigenous to Victoria, including trees, shrubs, herbs and grasses. They provide habitat for wildlife and delivers a range of ecosystem services that make land more productive and contribute to human well being. Native vegetation is classified into two categories: remnant patches and scattered trees. For more information please visit our website www.environment.vic.gov.au/native-vegetation/native-vegetation/, or contact us on 136 186.
At A Glance
Focus on caring for & protecting the environment.
Work to accommodate population growth.
We assist local governments to support people.
Provide statutory & strategic guidance on planning
Manage & support of emergency events & response.
Notable Achievements
90% of fires attended to were kept to less than five hectares.
Helped 65,000 users access information about their council services.
Approved 34 community infrastructure projects for funding.
Payment Methods