The NSW Crown Solicitor's Office operates as a Public Service Executive Agency related to the Department of Justice, with the Crown Solicitor as head of the agency (under Schedule 1 of the Government Sector Employment Act 2013.)
The Crown Solicitor provides legal services to the State Government of NSW and the other entities defined in s. 44 of the Legal Profession Uniform Law Application Act 2014.
We are the largest provider of legal services to the NSW Government and its agencies, and the sole provider of legal services in all matters regarded as core to government functions.
We also provide general commercial, or untied, services to the Government and its agencies, and compete with private sector law firms for this work. The CSO is on the legal panels of several NSW government departments and agencies.
We manage thousands of legal matters each year, many of which are long-running matters involving substantial litigation.
- Legal Advice
- Representation in Litigation
- Representation at Inquests and Other Inquiries
- Property and Commercial Transactions
- Drafting of Documentation and Agreements, Including Intergovernmental Agreements
- Assistance to Royal Commissions and Other Inquiries
- Provision of Officers to Serve On Committees
- Preparation of Publications
- Training and Information for Government Agencies
- Client Seminars