Consumer Affairs Victoria is Victoria's consumer regulator.
- provide information to business, consumers, landlords and tenants about their rights and responsibilities
- register and license organisations and occupations
- ensure compliance with consumer laws, and
- review and advise government about Victoria's consumer protection framework.
Our vision is for a fair and competitive Victorian marketplace.
Our values include acting with integrity, serving the community and respecting other people.
The outcomes we are working to achieve for the Victorian community are:
- businesses that comply with consumer laws
- Victorians who exercise their consumer rights
- a fair and safe rental market for Victorians.
Our regulatory priorities include:
- improving property managers’ knowledge of their obligations under residential tenancy laws
- increasing the effectiveness of regulatory frameworks in the retirement living sector
- safeguarding trust money held by estate agents
- protecting consumers from false and misleading claims about solar batteries, energy and health and wellbeing treatments
- raising community awareness of scams and finding new ways to disrupt scammers
- prioritising complaints about unfair contract terms for childcare services
- making it easier for charities and the not-for-profit sector to meet their reporting obligations.
We are also committed to achieving regulatory excellence in the way we work, through seven key initiatives:
- continuing to embed a risk-based, evidence-based and outcomes-focused approach across our regulatory functions
- planning for the move of our call centre to the Ballarat GovHub in 2020
- developing phase two of our partnership strategy
- developing our people through a workforce capability strategy
- embedding a culture of innovation and experimentation
- continued delivery of our information and communication technology (ICT) roadmap
- improving our processes and tools to listen to the needs of the Victorian community.
We provide information and advice in the following areas:We offer further information in these sections:
Forms and publications
We publish a range of forms, guides, research reports and policies. To find these, view our Forms and publications page.