The Clifford Craig Medical Research Trust is named after the late Dr Clifford Craig – surgeon, administrator, radiologist and historian.
In 1915 young Cliff was in his final year at school in Melbourne. He was school captain and opening batsman of the school XI. The following year he’d graduated, joined the AIF and was deployed to the Middle East as a private in the Desert Mounted Corps Operating Unit.
This innovative medical unit was highly mobile, based in tents, and was a response to the need to treat injured troops as quickly as possible. The surgeon commander of the unit specially requested young Cliff to be part of the team.