Business Summary
Sexual Assault & Family Violence Services
About Us

Centre Against Violence (CAV) was formerly known as Upper Murray Centre Against Sexual Assault (UMCASA) and was established in the early 1990s by a group of people from northeast Victoria.

In 1992, the organisation was incorporated under the Associations Incorporation Act and since that date has been managed by a community based Board of Management. In 2012 the organisation was renamed Centre Against Violence (CAV) to incorporate the diversity of programs operating under the auspice of the organisation.

CAV receives core funding through the Victorian Government Department of Health and Human Services, Children and Family Services branch. Some funding is also provided from the Federal Government to support family violence services. From time to time special project funding is sought from other sources.

CAV operates within a feminist framework with respect to our understanding and analysis of sexual assault and family violence.

How much will the service cost?
The service is provided free of charge. Centre Against Violence receives funding from the Victorian Government. I am worried about who will know I have come to your service. As a client of Centre Against Violence your privacy and confidentiality are protected. Any limits to privacy and confidentiality will be explained.
What if I change my mind about not wanting service?
You can withdraw from our service without any worries. If you want to come back at another time it will be fine. We believe in empowering you to make your own decisions while working with us. We accept your decisions and will continue to support you.
How do I obtain an Intervention order?
With our help, or by approaching the Magistrate’s Court independently, you can apply for an intervention order by filling out a form describing the violence and lodging it with a Clerk of Courts at your closest Magistrate’s Court.
How will an intervention order help?
It helps by setting rules that the perpetrator must abide by. If he doesn’t and you report it he will be charged with a crime. The behaviour he is using may not be a crime without an intervention order.
Will I have to see the perpetrator at court?
The answer depends on the type of court hearing you are attending and the arrangements available. If you are applying for an intervention order he has the right to attend. If you are going to trial for a criminal matter he will be obliged to be present as a defendant. In this instance it is possible to ask for a screen or a room separate to the court to provide evidence from.
What if I can’t cope with remembering what happened to me?
Memories of sexual assault and family violence can be disturbing and highly distressing. It is possible to attend CAV and be assisted to find some helpful ways to approach the difficulties you may have on a daily basis. This can be done without asking you to remember the past.