Bendigo Tennis Association
In the years 1925/26 the Bendigo Council developed the existing site of the Barnard St. Grass courts by draining what was then known as the Lower Reserve dam. The dam was partly filled with mullock from the various mining sites in Bendigo – the material being carted to Barnard St. by horse and dray. The newly formed lawn courts were opened for play in 1928, hosting for the first time, the Easter Tournament. Whilst the war years [1939-45] caused the courts to be closed, the Easter event resumed and continued until well into the 1960’s. In the late 1940’s a Men’s Pennant competition commenced. Records show that teams, named after team captains, such as Burgess, Gibson, Hill and Raggatt played in a keenly contested summer pennant.