The Australian Institute of Marine Science (AIMS) is a leader in tropical marine science.
The Institute is consistently ranked among the top one per cent of specialist research institutions internationally and is known for its unique capacity to investigate topics from broad-scale ecology to microbiology.
AIMS is committed to the protection and sustainable use of Australia's marine resources. Its research programs support the management of tropical marine environments around the world, with a primary focus on the Great Barrier Reef World Heritage Area, the pristine Ningaloo Marine Park in Western Australia and northwest Australia.
Click here to read more
Explore the AIMS Data Catalogue
The data AIMS collects are described in detail in the AIMS Data Catalogue. The catalogue contains descriptions of data (often called metadata) which allows others, including researchers, to identify potential data of use to them. Data can then be downloaded (if available) or requested. Access to some data will be via legal data agreement.
Click to view specialised apps that provide indepth access to some of our data
- Reef Weather
- Corals of the World
- Crown-of-thorns Starfish
- Temperature Loggers
- Reef Long Term Monitoring Surveys
- Vessel Tracking
- Great Barrier Reef Monitoring
- Ships of opportunity
- Coral Bleaching Indicator
- Web Cameras
- Weather Stations
- More apps and maps
Media Latest releases
Click here to view our Latest Media releases
- AIMS Index of Marine Industry - 2012
- AIMS Index of Marine Industry - 2010
- AIMS (2008) Valuing the Australian marine industry: discussion paper
- (Produced in conjunction with Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu. Australian Institute of Marine Science, Townsville Queensland)
- AIMS' capability statement (3.5Mb PDF file)
- AIMS invention listed as Queensland icon
- Big bank shoals of the Timor Sea
- Field guide to the mangroves of Queensland
- New species described in Corals of the World
- Reefs at risk
- Science for management
- Waypoint - AIMS' online newsletter
- What makes Australia a marine nation?