About Us

Ambulance Tasmania provides emergency ambulance care and transport services and a non-emergency patient transport service through a network of 53 urban, rural and remote ambulance stations.

Ambulance Tasmania has a range of salaried staff from highly trained paramedics to ambulance officers and students in training as well as 600 volunteer ambulance officers. Collectively these officers work closely with public and private hospitals and health facilities providers, intrastate and interstate organisations.

Ambulance Tasmania also works closely with allied emergency services, such as Tasmania Police, State Emergency Service (SES) and Tasmania Fire Service (TFS).

Ambulance Tasmania provides both fixed and rotary wing air ambulance services within Tasmania and works closely with mainland ambulance services for interstate patient transfers.

Ambulance Tasmania provides a free service to Tasmanian residents within Tasmania and its islands. The only chargeable cases are those related to motor vehicle or workplace accidents where insurance arrangements cover costs and cases involving veterans where the Department of Veterans Affairs meets the cost of ambulance transport.

How do I call an ambulance?
For medical emergencies, call 000. For non-urgent ambulance assistance, call 1800 008 008 You can also call 112 from any mobile phone, even if you are out of credit or out of range from your normal service provider.
Do Tasmanian residents have to pay for ambulance services in Tasmania?
Generally not. The Tasmanian government normally waives the accounts for Tasmanian residents who require ambulance transports within Tasmania and its islands when third party payment is not available. There are more details on the Fees and Accounts page.
I am a Tasmanian resident; why did I receive an invoice from Ambulance Tasmania?
There are some circumstances when even as a Tasmanian resident you will receive an invoice from Ambulance Tasmania, including if you are involved in a car crash or you are hurt at work. For more information, see the Fees and Accounts page.
What if I need an ambulance while I am visiting the mainland?
In all states and territories except South Australia and Queensland, you will be covered under informal reciprocal arrangements between the states that cover emergency road ambulance services. The governments of South Australia and Queensland do not participate in the reciprocal arrangements and you will have to pay directly if you are transported by ambulance in either of those two states, even if you are a pensioner. For more information, see the Fees and Accounts page.
Are there other avenues I can pursue to cover ambulance expenses?
Your private health fund or travel insurance provider may pay some or all of the invoice if you have appropriate cover included with your policy. If you hold a DVA card, you may be covered for ambulance services through the Department of Veterans Affairs.
How do I become a Volunteer Ambulance Officer?
If you, or anyone you know, would like more information about becoming a Volunteer Ambulance Officer, call 1300 303 196 or visit www.ambovolunteer-recruit.org.au or email volunteer@ambulance.tas.gov.au