More Locations

Canegrowers Building Level 1 120 Wood Street, Mackay QLD 4740

PO Box 97 Mackay QLD 4740
Business Summary
Certified Practicing Accountants
About Us

Whitson Dawson is a third generation Mackay accounting practice providing financial services for small to medium sized businesses throughout Central Queensland.

Whitson Dawson was originally known as WG Hodges and Co. The Mackay accounting practice was founded in 1883 to provide financial services to the growing township of Mackay.

In 1956, Colin Whitson joined the Mackay accountants bringing his vast experience into the practice. When Colin passed away Neil Whitson became the Principal for the accounting firm. Neil acquired Alex Dawson’s practice in 1973 merging the two practices into Whitson Dawson & Co. Sadly the third generation of Hodges (Lex) passed away in the late 1990’s.

Andrew Whitson and David Whitson now manage the Mackay accounting firm and over the last decade have expanded the accounting business into other industries. They consider it important to provide a proactive approach to client care to assist clients in navigating the complex taxation, financial planning and business finance environment.

The Practice is a Corporate Authorised Representative of SMSF Advisers Network. AFSL No. 430062 and also registered with the Tax Practitioners Board.

What We Do


  • Preparation of Income Tax Returns for individuals, partnerships, trusts, companies and superannuation funds
  • Tax Planning Strategies for management of taxation for individuals and businesses



  • Bookkeeping Services and advice
  • Financial Analysis


Business Advice

  • Tax planning and tax minimisation
  • Record-keeping systems


Self-managed Superannuation

  • Preparation of annual Financial Statements
  • Income Tax Returns for self-managed superannuation funds



  • Audit and assurance
  • Advice on legislative and regulatory compliance


Estate Planning


Rural Accounting & Advice


Do I need to have my tax return in by 31st October each year?
If you are an existing client, we have an extension to March or an extension to May of the next calendar year to lodge your return. If you are not an existing client, it is best for you to get your information into us ASAP to ensure that we can meet the lodgement deadlines.
My friend says I must have a business name to be able to claim my business motor vehicle cost, is that right?
No. You do not need to have a business name to be able to claim business expenses, regardless of whether it’s a motor vehicle expense or otherwise. You do need to be operating a business and have an ABN, but the use of a business name is optional.
Should I be a company?
The two main reasons why you might want to trade as a company are profits and protection. If your business has a large net profit, for example high enough that as an individual you might be in the highest income tax brackets, it might be useful to trade as a company to limit your tax payable to that of the company tax rate (currently 30%).
What household expenses can I claim as a tax deduction?
This depends to what extent your business is conducted from your home, and what you will be able to substantiate in case of an ATO audit. Costs you may be able to claim include a percentage of your power, insurance, repairs and telephone/internet expense. You also need to be aware that when you sell your home, you may be liable for Capital Gains Tax on any portion of your home that you have declared as business use.
I’m not registered for GST; do I have to charge it to my customers?
If you are registered for GST, this means that you are authorised to collect it from your customers on behalf of the ATO. If you are not registered for GST, you do not have this authority, so you do not need to collect it from your customers.
I’m starting a business, do I need to use a computer package, or is there an easier option?
No, you don’t need to buy an accounting software package and spend hours entering all your data, then try to reconcile it to your bank statements. The easiest way to get your information to us is through Banklink. This service generates and emails a computerised version of your bank statement. We send you these statements each month for you to enter the transaction description.
Can I give you my bank details to deposit my tax money into it?
Yes. However, for security purposes we cannot carry over your details so you will need to provide us with your information each year you get your tax return done with us.