Business Summary
Specialist Conveyancers & Property Lawyers
About Us

Buying or selling property involves making important decisions and usually a substantial financial commitment. For many people it is one of the most important decisions they will make. The process can therefore be confusing and stressful.

The team at Sproal & Associates will assist you through the conveyancing process by providing a friendly, efficient and cost effective service. We avoid the legal mystery and jargon commonly experienced when dealing with law firms.

We specialise in conveyancing, wills & estates, leases and subdivisions. We pride ourselves on being accessible and responsive to your requirements. We keep you informed as your transaction proceeds to completion. We understand that when you are negotiating a sale or purchase of property you need access to advice and assistance promptly.

What We Do
What is Conveyancing?
Conveyancing is the legal process of transferring legal ownership of a property from one party to another.
Are my interests protected when I use a property lawyer?
Why risk DIY conveyancing when you could have the protection of our professional indemnity insurance? All lawyers in Tasmania are required to have professional indemnity insurance in place to ensure your rights are protected.
How quickly can Sproal & Associates prepare a contract on my behalf?
We can prepare a contract on the same day as receiving instructions in most cases. If you are buying or selling you need to have documents checked or prepared promptly. At Sproal & Associates we do not require you to make an appointment. We will see you when it suits you. If you are negotiating a sale or purchase, please contact us so that we can assist you.
Do I have to pay stamp duty?
Yes, stamp duty, or duty, is payable on all property transfers. There are few exemptions. There are also no pensioner concessions. See the State Revenue Office link and the duty calculator.
Do I need to attend settlement?
No, settlement occurs when the seller receives the sale proceeds and the buyer receives the title documents to the property. Settlement is usually attended by the representatives of the seller and the representatives of the buyer and the respective banker or financial institutions. We will contact you immediately following settlement.
Do I need to notify the Council of my sale or purchase?
No, once the transfer documents are registered at the Land Titles Office written notification of the transfer of ownership is provided to the Council, the Land Tax Branch and the Valuation Division. We advise the water authority of the change of ownership and recommend that you also contact the water authority as they do not receive notification from the Land Titles Office in the same manner as the other authorities.