- Government Schools
- Primary Schools
- Education Support Schools
- HIgh Schools, Senior High Schools, District High Schools
- Junior Primary Schools
At the Department of Education we aim to deliver a high quality education to all students in all learning environments. We are committed to all students achieving their best and being lifelong learners who contribute actively to their communities and to society.
We have a role in influencing the education of all students in Western Australia and enact this in different ways in line with relevant legislation – directly through a system of public schools and indirectly through regulation and funding of Catholic and Independent schools.
This strategic outline articulates our commitment to six objectives. It details the different approaches we adopt to achieve these objectives as the deliverer of public school education and as a regulator and funder for Independent and Catholic schools.
We provide staff, facilities and resources to a number of entities created under legislation enacted by the Western Australian Parliament or by Ministerial administrative action:
- Non-Government education services - Regulation, review and funding of non-government schools, and support of higher education.
- Rural and Remote Education Advisory Council - Providing advice to the Minister on education and training in rural and remote WA.
- School Curriculum and Standards Authority - Kindergarten to Year 12 curriculum, assessment, standards and reporting.
- Teacher Registration Board of Western Australia - Registration of all teachers, from early childhood to Year 12, who teach in WA.
Our relevant legislation is the Public Sector Management Act 1994 in which the Department of Education is established under section 35; and the School Education Act 1999 (except Part 4 and other provisions which apply to non-government schools).
Our accountable authority is Ms Lisa Rodgers, Director General, Department of Education.
Policies and guidelines
All policies are available online on our policies site which also contains strategic documents, guidelines and links to relevant legislation.
Investing in our children's education
View the WA State Budget 2019-20.