The Marong area was first squatted from the mid-1840s and used as a gold washing site and commissioners camp. By 1861 there were 36 dwellings at Marong. The majority of residents were farmers.
The original Marong Family Hotel was built on the present site in 1865. The Marong Family Hotel was burnt down in early 1917, and rebuilt later that year.
The current owners purchased the Marong Family Hotel in 2007 and have since set about breathing life back into the old Marong Family Hotel.