92 Nelson Street, Nhill VIC 3418

PO Box 250 Nhill VIC 3418
Business Summary
Municipal Office General Enquiries
About Us

The Hindmarsh Shire Council was created in January 1995 as part of a state-wide local government reform program. The Hindmarsh Shire consists of the former Shire of Dimboola (created 1885) and the Shire of Lowan (created 1875). Councillors for the Hindmarsh Shire Council are democratically elected every four years, the next Council Election will be held in November 2012

What We Do
  • Aged & Disability
  • Building & Planning
  • Community & Business
  • Council Facilities
  • Emergency
  • Environment
  • Forms & Permits
  • Health
  • Employment / Human Resources
  • Local Laws & Fire Prevention
  • Rates & Finance
  • Recreation & Culture
  • Roads & Transport
  • Visitor Information
  • Waste
  • Youth and Early Years
What is a Fire Danger Rating and a Code Red day?
The Fire Danger Rating tells you how dangerous a fire would be if one is started. It helps you to know when conditions are dangerous enough to enact your Bushfire Survival Plan. Code Red is the highest Fire Daner Rating.
What is a Neighbourhood Safer Place or a Place of Last Resort?
Neighbourhood Safer Places (NSP's) are Places of Last Resort when all other bushfire plans have failed. They are designated community areas that may provide some protection from radiant heat, which is the biggest killer during bushfires. They are not inherently safe places and won't guarantee your safety. The safest option is to leave early.
What essential service disruptions can I encounter during an emergency?
You can encounter some essential service disruptions such as power outage or water supply disruption during an emergency.
How can I manage stress during an emergency?
The impact of an emergency can be stressful and exhausting. People are encouraged to look after themselves in this period. Talking it over with others often helps recovery from exposure to traumatic events.
What is a Bushfire Survival Plan and who should have one?
The Country Fire Authority (CFA) recommends that people who live or holiday in high bushfire risk areas of Victoria prepare themselves, their belongings and property for the event of a fire. In the event of a fire you need to enact your Bushfire Survival Plan. The CFA can provide specialist advice on these plans
Why should I leave early and how will I know when to leave?
The safest option in an emergency is always to leave early. Leaving early is the recommended course of action and should be your first consideration and included in your planning. Part of your Bushfire Survival Plan is to decide where your "Leave Early" place is and what the trigger to decide to go will be. You should remain vigilant on days of severe or extreme weather events (such as Code Red fire danger days) for warnings and other information about emergency.
How can I prepare and assist animals suring an emergency?
For owners and those in charge of animals planning for emergencies is critical. This includes companion animals (pets), livestock, wildlife and animals in foster care. Personal safety plans and household or property plans should include contingencies for animals that will either remain on the property or be evacuated during an emergency.