The City of Glenorchy is a Local Government Area of Tasmania which covers several northern suburbs of Hobart including the suburb of Glenorchy by the same name. The city is managed by Glenorchy City Council. The approximate size of Glenorchy is 120Sq Km. Tasmanian Aboriginals were the first inhabitants of the area where Glenorchy lies today.
Land grants in the Glenorchy area began in 1804. By the 1820s it was occupied by farms and was a place of rural retreat from Hobart. The period between 1840 and 1860 was one of steady growth in Glenorchy, culminating in the area becoming a municipality in 1864. Glenorchy is believed to have been so named by Governor Lachlan Macquarie after his wife's home in Scotland. The name means 'glen of tumbling waters'.
Commercial orchards developed into a significant industry, with the first cool store being built in the 1880s. German farming immigrants settled about 10 km. West of Glenorchy at Bismarck and Glenlusk. The railway had been connected to Glenorchy in the 1870s, and the connection by tram to Hobart came in 1893.
- Animal Management
- Council Works
- Economic Development
- Environmental Health
- Maps and Spatial Data
- Planning and Heritage
- Roads & Council Property
- Sport & Recreation Facilities
- Waste Management