In 1981 a small Darwin group of about ten enthusiastic people interested in family history gathered with an aim to form an association. Official registration followed and GSNT was officially born in late November 1981. At first this small group met in the meeting room of the Darwin Family History Centre of the LDS Church, membership increased and we were offered accommodation in our present site, 1st floor of 25 Cavenagh Street Darwin (same building as the Northern Territory Archives Service).
From the very beginning we were involved in fund raising to purchase resources for our Library. We also recognised that there was next to nothing available to family historians wanting to know more about their Territory ancestors. So began our indexing projects.
WHAT WE DO
Membership is available upon application; Membership fee includes:
- Free access to our vast collection of books, microfiche, microfilm and CD collections.
- Free use of computers and microfiche readers
- Free use of our subscription databases
- Free research - up to four hours per year for member’s resident beyond Batchelor in the Northern Territory
- Free GSNT email newsletters – informative information on websites, indexes, books and events.
- Member rates available for seminars and workshops managed by GSNT
- Free publication of research interest, both in our journal, and our online Members Interests' Directory
- Reciprocal visiting rights to the collections of family history societies – see Reciprocal Arrangements