Welcome to the Flinders Shire, covering an area of 41,632km2. Hughenden is the main business centre for the shire which also encompasses the smaller communities of Prairie, Torrens Creek and Stamford.
Hughenden is situated on the banks of the Flinders River, Queensland longest river. Hughenden has direct road access to a number of major centres and tourist attractions within the region. The Flinders Highway runs through Hughenden connecting to Townsville (376km) in the east and Mount Isa (519km) in the west, with a southern sealed road access via the Dinosaur Way to Winton and Longreach. For those wanting to travel north there is the Kennedy Developmental Road, a gravel and bitumen sealed road to the Atherton Tablelands and Cairns.
The Flinders Shire is predominantly a grazing area, with some emerging irrigation pockets. North of the Flinders River is predominately red and black volcanic basalt country and to the south of Hughenden is black soil downs country with open natural grass lands.
Call into the Flinders Discovery Centre to find out more about this region and the extensive and diverse range of attractions in the area including national parks, gemfields, mountainous volcanic basalt country, sweeping black soil plains, rich fossil, dinosaur areas and the history arts and culture of the region.
Local Government Department servicing Hughenden, Torrens Creek,Prairie and Stamford
Locations of Public Payphones:
- 11 Gray Street, Hughenden near FT Foodworks (Accepts coin and card)
- 61 Brodie Street, Hughenden near Australia Post (Accepts coin and card)
- 1 Resolution Street, Hughenden at the Railway Station (Accepts coin and card)
- Flinders Highway, Hughenden opposite the Hughenden Hospital (Accepts coin and card)
- 37 Savage Street, Prairie near Prairie Park (Card only)
- 10 Russell Street, Torrens Creek (Card only)
- Winton Road, Stamford near Roadhouse (Accepts coin and card)