Cobden is located 208 kilometres southwest of Melbourne, and is central to the countryside's rich farming land and well-known attractions.
The land around Cobden was first settled by Scottish immigrant Dr Daniel Curdie in 1840. He quickly selected a run and established “Tandarook” homestead, one of the earliest properties on the western plains, in the low lying hills surrounding the Curdies River. The name itself came from two aboriginal words: ‘Tan’ meaning hill and ‘Darock” meaning native bread.
Cobden was surveyed in 1860 and was originally known as Lovely Banks. At this time blocks of land were selling for 8 pounds an acre. The population grew considerably, with many new settlers being tradesmen and agriculturists. In 1865, the town’s name was changed to Cobden after leading British Statesman and free trade advocate, Richard Cobden. Early industry was diverse, but the dairy industry was particularly prosperous and the first centralised dairy factory was opened in Cobden during 1888.