The Clark Rubber story began in 1946 when two men, Charlesworth and Clark formed a partnership to establish Clark Matting and Rubber. The business grew quickly, and in 1951 was listed on the Australian Stock Exchange. In 1961, the name was changed to Clark Rubber Stores.
In 1982, Clark Rubber was bought by the Adsteam Group, which continued to operate the business until 1994. At this point, the Clark Rubber name and logo were sold to Vita Pacific, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Pacific Dunlop, and the network of stores was closed down.
It was at this time that Chris Malcolm, a veteran of Australian retailing, stepped in. After lengthy negotiations, Chris licensed the Clark Rubber brand from Vita Pacific. Deciding that the franchise model was the best way to grow an already-strong brand, the first Clark Rubber store re-opened in Nunawading, Victoria in 1995.
By 1998, the 50th store had opened and Clark Rubber was once again one of the best recognised brands in Australian retail. In 2000, Chris Malcolm bought the Clark Rubber brand from Pacific Dunlop.
The store network continued to grow, and in 2003 Clark Rubber was recognised as the Franchise Council of Australia’s Franchisor of the Year in the ‘Entry Capital Over $200,000’ category. In the same year, Chris Malcolm was inducted into the Franchise Council of Australia’s ‘Hall of Fame. Three years later, Clark Rubber was awarded the Franchise Council of Australia’s highest honour, Franchisor of the Year.