Anticipate, Predict, Discover & Investigate:
ASIO exists to protect our nation and its people from serious threats to their security. To do this, we must be able to both investigate threats that already exist and anticipate threats that are likely to develop.
We rely on 5 key capabilities to do our job:
- a data ‘backbone’ that allows us to manage the volume, velocity, and variety of data we need;
- our expertise in security intelligence;
- our ability to synthesise, collate and amalgamate data from many sources to reveal serious threats to security;
- our ability to place our investigations into a broader context; and
- our rigorous analytical skills.
1. Countering terrorism:
Since the late 1960s, when terrorism began to directly affect Australia, we have been working to prevent terrorist attacks and disrupt the activities of terrorists who threaten Australia and its interests.
2. Countering espionage:
ASIO has specific legislative responsibility for countering espionage and foreign interference. We work closely with partners in Australia and overseas to detect and degrade the harmful activities of our adversaries.
3. Border integrity:
ASIO works with partners to protect Australia from serious threats to our border integrity.
4. Protective security:
Protective security advice helps government, business, and owners of critical infrastructure to make decisions about how they protect their information, people and assets.